All children who are preparing to receive their First Holy Communion in the spring must first receive the sacrament of Reconciliation (confession) in the winter of that school year. Please see the First Reconciliation page for information regarding the Sacrament of Reconciliation.
Two years of preparation is necessary prior to receiving the sacrament of Communion. This is typically in 1st and 2nd grade, with First Communion being received in April or May of the 2nd grade year.
A two year program is also available for children in grades 3 through 8 who have had little or no prior religious education. These children attend regular RE classes with their age-mates to teach them the basics of the faith, and meet on several Sundays throughout the two years to prepare for their sacraments.
Please contact Cathy Gillooly in the Religious Education Office at 630-554-1425 or firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions or concerns about First Holy Communion.
The following dates apply to families with students in Grade 2 and Year 2 of Sacrament Prep for 2016-2017.
Mandatory – Parent & Child Gathering
A parent (or other special adult) must attend with the child during their regular class time on:
- Monday, January 23 – 4:30 to 5:30 and 6:00 to 7:00 PM
- Tuesday, January 24 – 4:30 to 5:30 and 6:00 to 7:00 PM
- Wednesday, January 25 – 4:30 to 5:30 and 6:00 to 7:00 PM
- Thursday, January 26 – 4:30 to 5:30 PM
* At least one parent is expected to attend. If you cannot make it on your child’s usual day/time, you and your child can join us for any of the scheduled Gatherings the week of January 23-26, 2017.
Mandatory – Parent & Child Retreat
At least one parent is expected to attend with your child for one of the following Retreats. Please contact the RE Office to sign up for your preferred date.
- February 4
- March 4
- March 18
- March 25
All of the Retreats are being held on Saturdays from 3:30 to 6:00 PM at St. Anne Parish and will conclude with the families attending the 5:00 Mass.
Students will go on a tour of the Church during their regular class time on the following dates. Parents are welcome but not required to attend.
- Monday, April 3 – 4:30 to 5:30 and 6:00 to 7:00 PM
- Tuesday, April 18 – 4:30 to 5:30 and 6:00 to 7:00 PM
- Wednesday, April 19 – 4:30 to 5:30 and 6:00 to 7:00 PM
- Thursday, April 20 – 4:30 to 5:30 PM
1st Communion Masses (and Rehearsals)
Families will receive the schedule of their assigned date and time for their First Communion Mass and Rehearsal at the First Reconciliation Parent Meeting on September 26 or 27, 2016.
The two dates for our First Communion Masses are Saturday, April 29 and Saturday, May 6, 2017.